If you haven’t watched the latest Mindy Project, TURN AWAY NOW. Just go straight to the recipe. Or at least skip this paragraph. I’m serious. This is a spoiler alert if you haven’t watched it. OMGIMSOEXCITEDDANNYANDMINDYFINALLYKISSED!!!! Best winter finale EVER. I’ve pretty much stopped watching New Girl, I’m very sad about it, so I’m pretty dedicated to Mindy Project. It keeps getting better every episode. And it finally climaxed. Don’t be dirty. They made out hard core. I’m so happy for these tv characters. Why oh why must I wait until April to see what drama occurs in their relationship? Oh the frustration.
Ok, so a couple months ago, Dunkin’ Donuts came to the Denver area. I know this because it is down the street from my gym and our street was backed up for blocks. People were waiting in line for an hour to get freaking donuts. Donuts. I mean, I get it. When I was on swim team at 12 years old, I used to be able to eat a dozen cake donuts in one sitting. That’s what we would do. We would huddle in sleeping bags at 6am, jump into a freezing cold pool, braid each other’s hair, flirt with boys, and eat donuts. Ok, maybe that was just mostly me. Either way, I consider myself pretty much a donut expert because of all the donuts I’ve inhaled in my day. And once I started eating paleo, I made lots of donuts: pumpkin cream donut sandwicheschocolate coffee banana donutscarrot cake donutsblueberry lemon jam donuts. Those are my favorites. Anyways, I’m an “expert”. And the other day, I had the chance to try a bite of a Dunkin’ Donuts chocolate donut…and you know what? It sucked. I would take a paleo dessert any day over that crappy unhealthy donut. What what!! Paleo is the best.
Yesterday, I spent more money than I am comfortable with. I’m the type of person that gets a lot of stuff at thrift stores. I got my donut maker there, my immersion blender there, my spatulas there, you get it. I just like saving money. But going forward with my life, moving in to a new place, I decided that I should buy some stuff I enjoy using. Like great pans. I spend every single day of my life using a pan, multiple times. So I might as well spend a bit more money on something that will last. So I did it. I spent some money on some amazing pans, but EFFFFFF, it was not fun to swipe my card. How can they charge that much for metal?? I’m sure they have reasons but I have reasons for saving money. Like so I can pay the gas bill to use the pans to cook with. Oh the frustration.
Whatever. I have a new kitchen to cook in soon!!! Can’t wait to show you.
4.9 from 16 reviews
Spicy & Sticky Coconut Honey Chicken
 
Prep time
Cook time
Total time
 
Serves: 3-4
Ingredients
For the rice
  • 1 small head of cauliflower, chopped into florets
  • ⅓ cup broth or water
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
For the chicken
  • 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1.5 pounds chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch cubes
  • salt, to taste
For the sauce
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • ½ small yellow onion, minced
  • 1 (14 ounce) can of full fat coconut milk
  • ¼ cup honey
  • ½ cup coconut aminos (or gluten free soy sauce)
  • 2-3 tablespoons sriracha, depending how spicy you like (find paleo sriracha here)
  • ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • salt, to taste
  • ¼ cup tapioca flour
  • chopped green onions (to garnish)
Instructions
  1. Run florets of cauliflower through a food processor using the shredding attachment, to rice the cauliflower. Or use a grater and crate the cauliflower until you have small pieces.
  2. Place a medium saucepan over medium heat, add cauliflower and broth or water and garlic powder and salt to the pan and cover to let steam for about 10 minutes. Mix a couple times to keep from sticking to the bottom.
  3. Now place a large saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat. Add coconut oil. Once oil is very hot, add chicken to the pan without crowding the pan to help with searing. Sprinkle with salt. Once chicken begins to turn white, flip on cook on other side. After chicken has cooked through, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
  4. When chicken is done cooking, add 2 more tablespoons to the pan (if needed) then add garlic and onion. Once onion becomes translucent, add coconut milk, honey, coconut amines, sriracha, red pepper flakes, and salt. Whisk together and let come to a low boil then reduce to low heat.
  5. Lastly, while continuously whisking, add in tapioca flour ⅛ cup at a time. Be sure to continuously whisk to keep from tapioca flour from clumping.
  6. Once mixture thickens, add chicken to the pan with the sauce and coat, let cook for about a minute to reheat the chicken.
  7. Pour sauce and chicken on top rice and garnish with green onions.
IMG_1002