Recipe from http://paleodietlifestyle.com/hearty-beef-stew/
Potatoes are Paleo"You’ll see that I’ve thrown 2 optional white potatoes in the recipe. Those add great bulk and taste to the final stew if you choose to add them. For those who are still scared of white potatoes or who see them as inferior to other root vegetables, please refer to my article on Paleo 2.0 or my Pesto Mashed Potatoes recipe for a quick explanation on why carbohydrates or white potatoes are not the enemy and why the first Paleo authors were wrong in recommending against potatoes."
Hearty beef stew recipeServes 4
- 1 lb stewing beef;
- 2 tbsp paleo cooking fat;
- 4 cups beef stock;
- 1 cup onion, chopped;
- 1 cup celery, chopped;
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped;
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed (optional);
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes;
- ½ tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped;
- ½ tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste;
- In a large saucepan over a medium-high heat, combine the onions, celery, carrots, potatoes, if using, as well as the cooking fat. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the beef to the saucepan, followed by the tomatoes, beef stock, rosemary and thyme. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover the saucepan and cook for about one hour, allowing the stew to simmer. Stir a few times during the cooking process.
- Remove the lid and cook uncovered for about 45 minutes. If the mixture is too thick at the end of the cooking process, you can add a little bit of water or stock.